Even knowing the federal government was trying to assimilate the Chickasaws and abolish their government, the tribe began construction of the Chickasaw National Capitol Building in April of 1898. Built of pink granite from the Pennington Quarry of Governor R.M. Harris and completed in seven months for $15,000, the building was dedicated on November 17, 1898 and served as the capitol until 1906. The capitol building was reclaimed by Governor Bill Anoatubby in 1992 and serves as a reminder of our quest for independence.
For more information on the Capitol Building click here.