The Chickasaw White House was built in 1895 in Emet, Oklahoma, and served as the home of Chickasaw Governor Douglas H. Johnston. Governor Johnston was elected governor in 1898 and had a political career spanning 40 years. During this time, the Chickasaw White House served as a facility for political activity in addition to being the Johnston family home.
Architect W.A. Waltham designed the impressive house in the Queen Anne style and it features cherry mahogany fireplace mantels, crystal chandeliers, 14-foot ceilings and a large dance floor. The mansion is now listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a historic house museum open to the public for tours. The historic structure and period furnishings give visitors a glimpse into the Victorian period of the late 1800s through the early 1900s. The Chickasaw White House is owned by the Chickasaw Nation.