Built in 1920 as a home for silent films and vaudeville acts, the McSwain Theatre has been a diverse venue for entertainment. The theatre was named after Foster McSwain, the man behind it all. He built the theatre after seeing his first motion picture in Enid, Oklahoma, in 1910.
When first constructed, the theatre could accommodate 1,250 people. It would screen A-list movies, and celebrities such as Roy Rogers would come to promote their films at the theatre.
On premiere nights, the theatre produced lines that would circle the block. On weekends, it hosted a "Dusk 'til Dawn" night, screening films until 4 a.m.
Sadly, in the 1980s, hard times fell upon the McSwain and it had to close its doors. The emerging multi-screen business was too much to keep up with for the theatre. In the 1990s another local businessman bought the real estate and turned it into a show venue for country music singers and bands.
Then in 2002, the Chickasaw Nation purchased the theatre and began supervising its operation. The Chickasaw Nation oversaw extensive renovations and operations and made the theatre what it is today.